[OpenAFS] Kerberos Authentication with OpenAFS.

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Mon, 13 May 2002 15:38:19 -0500

I think we agree.

As I pointed out in the gssklog which is a more generic
replacement for aklog, we are using server/host@realm. Tge gssklog works
with other GSS implementaitons too, such as the GSI at http://www.globus.org

David Fulton wrote:

> I agree to that. That adheres to the Kerberos ideal of being generic. There is no reason
> to limit our options with it. I would like to point out that the usual form of a Kerberos
> principal for services is
>
> service/host@realmname.
>
> Thus, technically, instead of afs/cellname@realmname, we should have
> afs/servername@realmname, This would require the server to know what cell it is in, but it
> already has that information in /usr/afs/etc/ThisCell and the clients as well. If it were
> to be made truly a seperate part, it should find out what its home realm name is from DNS
> (ala. MIT Kerberos.) and try that realm this should always be overrideable from the
> bosserver command line.

This was not done because AFS uses a single key for the cell, and aklog expects to
convert a V5 ticket to a V4 ticket using the same principal, and same key.

This is another side benefit of the gssklog, in that these are now separate.