[OpenAFS] underlying FS type?

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
16 May 2002 11:37:24 -0400

Alf Wachsmann <alfw@SLAC.Stanford.EDU> writes:

> On Thu, 16 May 2002, Derek Atkins wrote:
> > For the AFS _SERVER_ (/vicepx) partitions, you should be able to use
> > any file system.  The only FS choice limitation is the cache partition
> > in the AFS _CLIENT_.  People have successfully used ext2, ext3,
> > reiserfs, and many other FSs for the afs server /vicepx partitions.
>
> Derek,
>
> I am more than surprised to read this advice for the AFS client cache.

Why are you surprised that "The only FS choice limitation is the cache
parittion in the client"?  That has always been the case.  My point
was that "People have successfully used ext2, ext3, reiserfs, and many
other FSs for the AFS SERVER /vicepX partitions".  What part of this
was unclear?

> If you look at one of the recent threads on the openafs-devel mailinglist
> I see a very clear advice for using ext2 ONLY.

Yes.  For the AFS CLIENT CACHE you should only use ext2.  The client
cache != Server /vicepx partition!!!!

AFS SERVER /vicepx partitions:
        ext2, ext3, reiserfs, ...

AFS CLIENT CACHE partitions:
        ext2

> Could someone please give a _definitive_ answer to this question for
> OpenAFS-1.2.3 and 1.2.4.
>
> Many thanks,
>                 Alf.

-derek