[OpenAFS] **** Could not attach volume 536873478 ****

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Fri, 17 May 2002 12:02:48 -0400

--On Friday, May 17, 2002 09:37:27 -0500 Michael Robokoff
<mrobo@ahpcrc.org> wrote:

> **** Could not attach volume 536873478 ****
>
> I have tried running salvager but the volume remains. when I try
> and do anything with the volume I get a message that the volume
> is corrupted and I must run salvager.

Read the SalvageLog, it should tell you something.

My guess is that (if do a salvage of only that volume), it will say

No applicable vice inodes on <devicename>; not salvaged

What this means is that the volume isn't really there, just the volume
header file /vicep<x>/V536873478.vol

Once afs gets into this state, it doesn't properly clean up after itself,
and you need to remove the .vol file manually