[OpenAFS] Perfomance

FBO fbo2@gmx.net
Mon, 20 May 2002 09:55:24 +0200

Hi AFS-Fans,

When playing in my Cell, I had to find out that performance of "my" AFS is very bad.

Between a P-200-server and a K6/2-350-client (cachesize: 100MB ) I got 600 kByte/s.
After I made a 4MB-Ramdisk for the client's cache-manager, it increased to about
3MByte/s.
On client-side it doesn't seem to be hardware related,
using 1GHz-Athlon (640MB RAM) wasn't really faster.

All PCs are non-high-end (IDE-HDDs, Cheap NICs) but 3MByte/s is very slow
(within a switched 100MBit-Ethernet). FTP sometimes reaches the
10MByte/s-mark in the same environment.

What am I doing wrong or is there a theoretical Limit that somehow can't be
broken?

I was told that the cachemanager could be the problem. Is there a chance
to bybass it (at least for accessing the local subnet)?

How much MByte/s is a AFS-Server able to do (serving multiple clients)?

FB