[OpenAFS] CopyOnWrite failed. Workarounds?

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Tue, 28 May 2002 16:49:45 +0200

The fact that the CopyOnWrite failure is seen only on servers with very
low load indicates that it has something to do with the filedescriptor
caching. As I mentioned some months ago: we had in MR-AFS a similar
problem where a directory was not REALLYCLOSEd before its unlinking.
Then CopyOnwrite wrote into the unlinked directory instead of the newly
created one because both had the identical UFS-path. The effect was that
after closing the filedescriptor the data were lost and the newly
created file had 0 bytes length.

I tried to produce this effect with an openafs-1.2.3 test-server by any
combination of directory update and "vos backup", but never saw the
problem. It would be nice if someone could give a recipe what steps are
necessary to produce the failure!

Anyway, if you have a production environment where the number of files
opened over a day exceeds by far the number of open filedescriptors you
probably wont see any errors. (not a very helpful hint, I know!)

Hartmut Reuter