[OpenAFS] Moving top level RO volumes

J. Maynard Gelinas gelinas@lns.mit.edu
Tue, 28 May 2002 11:28:06 -0400 (EDT)

   Hi,

   I'd like to move several top level RO volumes from one host to another.
Currently I have:

afs1:/afs/lns.mit.edu/user# vos listvol afs1
Total number of volumes on server afs1 partition /vicepa: 4
root.afs.readonly                 536870913 RO         36 K On-line
root.cell.readonly                536870916 RO          5 K On-line
user.bldg-26.readonly             536870989 RO          4 K On-line
user.bldg-6.readonly              536870992 RO          3 K On-line

Total volumes onLine 4 ; Total volumes offLine 0 ; Total busy 0

sitting on a host named "afs1". What I'd like to do is move these to
another afs server host so that I can shut down afs1 and bring the
hardware back online under a different hostname. When I try vos move I get
this error message:

afs1:/afs/lns.mit.edu/user# vos move root.afs.readonly afs1 /vicepa \
csraid1 /vicepa
Failed to clone the source volume 536870913
   : Read-only file system
vos move: operation interrupted, cleanup in progress...
clear transaction contexts
move incomplete - attempt cleanup of target partition - no guarantee
cleanup complete - user verify desired result
afs1:/afs/lns.mit.edu/user#

   Since two of these are top level RO volumes for /afs and
/afs/lns.mit.edu I'm concerned that any mistakes I might make in this
process could cause a service disruption for clients. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
--Maynard