[OpenAFS] Mac OS X: Home directory on AFS

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Thu, 30 May 2002 12:21:06 -0400

--On Thursday, May 30, 2002 17:33:27 +0200 Martin Ott <ott@in.tum.de> wrote:

>> Question, I have looked around but I can't find how to install afs (once
>> compiled ) on MacOS X 10.1. I mean I have to make a bunch of dirs like
>> /usr/vice, etc.. What about the cache location, and afsd options?
>>
>> Can someone point me in the right direction?
Apart from how startup scripts work, installing afs on macosx isn't that
different from other unix OS's. The binary .pkg distributions I produce are
organized in an attempt to not clutter the OS's directory structure. In
order to allow this alternate organization, openafs was modified so that
the client configuration directory can be either /usr/vice/etc or
/var/db/openafs. /var/db/openafs will be used if it exists, so if you do
decide to use /usr/vice/etc, make sure that any /var/db/openafs left over
from older installations is cleaned up.

The following instructions assume that afs was configured with
--enable-transarc-paths, since that's what I always use. There's a remote
possibility that these instructions might also work if you configure with
--prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/var/db/openafs
--afskerneldir=/var/db/openafs/etc and run "make install". in that case you
won't have to install afsd or the kernel module, but the startup script
will be left in the source directory

Things to do after "make dest":
0) pick a config directory
Decide if you're going to use /var/db/openafs or /usr/vice
1) Install kernel module
The entire contents of ppc_darwin_14/dest/root.client/usr/vice/etc/afs.kext
should be copied to /var/db/openafs/etc/afs.kext or /usr/vice/etc/afs.kext
2) Install afsd
ppc_darwin_14/dest/root.client/usr/vice/etc/afsd should be copied to
/usr/sbin or /usr/vice/etc
3) Configure CellServDB, cacheinfo, ThisCell, and afsd.options
These files should be copied/created in /var/db/openafs/etc or /usr/vice/etc

CellServDB and ThisCell are used just like on any other OS
As you may know, the contents of the cacheinfo file are
<where in filespace to mount afs>:<where cache directory is>:<initial size
of cache>

Typical places to put the cache directory are /var/db/openafs/cache or
/usr/vice/cache. Make sure you create the cache directory, since neither
afsd nor the startup script will do so. My binary distributions actuall
mount afs in /Network/afs instead of /afs because (on some version) it made
it easier for the finder to discover it. This may not be necesary anymore,
but that's how I do it. (If you do this, you will want a symlink from /afs
to /Network/afs so that typical /afs based paths work)

afsd.options contains arguments to pass to afsd instead of the defaults. I
reccomend it's use on macosx machines given what the finder does when it
opens /afs. My current recomendation is that any site that uses macos x
clients should create a reduced root.afs containing only "local" or "known
good" cells that aren't likely to be down. Future changes in openafs may
obsolete this requirement.

4) (optional, but recomended) install startup script
SystemStarter startup scripts are located in /Library/StartupItems. Each
startup item is a directory containing a) an executable or shell script
with the same name as the directory, and b) an XML "property list" named
StartupParameters.plist. These files are in
ppc_darwin_14/dest/root.client/usr/vice/etc (the script is named afs.rc)