[OpenAFS] VolservLog

Michael Aldrich maldrich@reserveamerica.com
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 08:38:39 -0500

Hi,
I am continuously seeing the following error in my VolserLog. This is the=
=20
first I have seen these messages on my servers.=20

trans 13 on volume 536871481 is older than 300 seconds

It is not specific to any volume. From the Transarc page:

Q.
 What does the following message in the VolserLog mean?=20

        Fri Aug 21 03:16:20 1998: trans 1606522 on volume 536874071
        is older than 300 seconds
A.
 These are informational messages from the Volserver that report on the=20
progress of a volume operation. They begin to appear in the VolserLog eve=
ry=20
30 seconds after the transaction is over 300 seconds (5 minutes) old to l=
et=20
you know the operation is still in progress. You will typically see these=
=20
messages when working with very large (1 - 2 Gig) volumes, over slow or=20
heavily-burdened networks, or when either the target or source machines a=
re=20
very busy. Essentially, these messages will appear any time a volume=20
operation takes longer than 5 minutes.=20

My question is, what operation is taking longer than 5 minutes? None of t=
he=20
volumes are bigger than 1 - 2 Gig..
We are running OpenAFS 1.2.2 on RedHat 7.1.
Thanks
Mike