[OpenAFS] key issues for OpenAFS future?

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
05 Nov 2002 17:12:47 -0600

On Tue, 2002-11-05 at 17:00, Dan Pritts wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 07:34:34PM +0000, Paul Blackburn wrote:
> > What capabilities are considered important for the OpenAFS future?
>
> Agreed that file (and volume) size limits are significant.
>
> Also agree that getting the kernel modules into the linux tree would
> definitely be a good thing vs. developers having to jump through hoops
> to make it work with each new release from a major distributor.
>
> more fine-grained access control for server functionality, like was
> discussed recently on the list (eg, list of users who can do a vos
> release, vs list of users who can change acls everywhere).  Having to
> script it up in the adm/scheme environment has always seemed like
> a nightmare.  A client-server app written in a more widely-understood
> language would be less of a nightmare but still a hack.

Unfortunately, that's likely to be the only way it can happen.

There is not a "vos release" operation on the server. All of those
operations are built up from components, and are all implemented in the
client side vos command.

For example, moving a volume, backup/restore of a volume, and releasing
a volume all use very similar operations.

It may make sense to try and move some of those calls into a central
server so that there can be a "vos move" operation, or a "vos release"
operation on the server, at which point you can easily do finer access
control at the server side.

I'm not sure if it would make sense to have those be part of the current
volserver, or implement a whole new service instead. (i.e. basically
doing the same thing as a scheme/adm service, but in C w/ RX, written
like rest of afs server code.)

That doesn't interest me all that much though, as there is almost always
external policy/procedures involved, so it's easy enough to just
script/control externally.