[OpenAFS] Memory cache question

Martha.Cofran@cexp.com Martha.Cofran@cexp.com
Thu, 7 Nov 2002 12:44:18 -0700

First I want to thank everyone on this list that's helped me in the past.
My site went to production last week (finally) and everything is working
great.

My question:  Is there a way to prevent a file pulled from the AFS server to
the client from being cached?  I want most stuff to be cached, I just want
to prevent certain stuff.

AFS is serving catalog images to a mission critical on-line ordering
web-site.  Speed is essential, so I've got a 500 Mg memory cache on each of
my web-servers to cache the most frequently used images (done automatically
at boot so users aren't affected) of the 1Gig that we have.  Management
wants to tar up all of the images on AFS every night and copy them to the
web servers, so that if AFS disappears, recovery would only consist of
untarring the current data and reconfiguring the directory the web server
pulls from.  I figured the best way to do this is to run a cron routine to
tar it to a volume.  Then each client can cp the tar from the AFS directory
to a local directory.  But, if I do this, will the 1Gig tar file completely
flush all of the real data out of my memory cache?  Is there a better way to
accomplish this?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Martha Cofran