[OpenAFS] Corrupted cache causes a segmentation fault

empmp@gmx.de empmp@gmx.de
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:30:27 +0100 (MET)

Hello List,

I'm quite new at OpenAFS but before going on with testing I have to ask an
important question, at least important for me:

I'm running Linux with a 2.4.19 kernel and openafs 1.2.7 both compiled. I
installed my test enviroment while reading the "AFS Quick Start Guide for
UNIX". Everything works fine but then an intensive testing showed up some problems
which are not solvable for me just now:

Suppose my openafs server is down. A client wants to mount the afs share,
after a while a time out raises (errno 22). (load the libafs-2.4.19 and run the
afsd) If I try to start the client again (libafs is already loaded) no time
out raises anymore. ps ax shows that some kernel afs processes are active
(within the []-brackets). These processes are not killable and even when the
server is up again no mounting is possible.
After rebooting a new client start dies with a segmentation fault.
After another rebooting I clear the cache manually (rm -rf
/usr/vice/cache/*) and a normal mounting is possible again.

Here is the -debug and -verbose output from afsd:

doSweepAFSCache: Current directory entry: inode=62991, reclen=24,
name='V2499'
doSweepAFSCache: Closing cache directory.
doSweepAFSCache: Current directory entry: inode=60481, reclen=24,
name='VolumeItems'
doSweepAFSCache: Current directory entry: inode=60480, reclen=24,
name='CacheItems'
doSweepAFSCache: Closing cache directory.
afsd: 2500 out of 2500 data cache files found in sweep 1.
afsd: Calling AFSOP_CACHEINFO: dcache file is '/usr/vice/cache/CacheItems'
SScall(137, 28, 7)=0 afsd: Calling AFSOP_VOLUMEINFO: volume info file is
'/usr/vice/cache/VolumeItems'
SScall(137, 28, 8)=0 afsd: Calling AFSOP_AFSLOG: volume info file is
'/usr/vice/etc/AFSLog'
SScall(137, 28, 11)=0 afsd: Calling AFSOP_CACHEINODE for each of the 2500
files in '/usr/vice/cache'
Segmentation fault

I hope my problem is not too strange.
Thanks in advance for all suggestions

Patrick Boettcher
(OpenAFS interested Student of the University of Applied Sciences Wildau,
Germany)