[OpenAFS] Dummy fileserver putting clients 'on hold'

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 08:21:37 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Rainer Toebbicke wrote:

> The answer is: maneuver the fileserver into a blocking mode for that time,
> such that requests are retried instead of aborted. The interactive users will
> moan and start hitting control-C and the like, but at least the more patient
> ones, batch jobs and running applications will survive.

This is a reason for the hard mount semantics Phil Moore likes to plug,
but you need to tweak a kernel variable. On Linux we export it via sysctl;
On the other platforms, you get to use a debugger.