[OpenAFS] Re: namei question

Warren.Yenson@morganstanley.com Warren.Yenson@morganstanley.com
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 15:04:32 -0500 (EST)

> > As Derek and Derrick have mentioned, you need to compile a NAMEI
> > fileserver to use VxFS.  Note that we have seen some performance hits
> > using NAMEI fileservers versus the standard hacked-ufs fileservers.
> > But then, fsck would be much faster using VxFS.  YMMV.
> >

> >               - Warren
>
> Can you specify/quantify the performance hit?  We haven't been using
> namei but are considering using it.

I'm sorry, I don't remember the exact figures.  I think it was in the
order of 15% - 20% but it wasn't scientific as we weren't serious about
deploying it at the time (an upgrade would require newfs, and we didn't
have swing servers at the time).

Of course, with faster hardware (new Linux servers) I think that we would
have been better off overall with a NAMEI implementation.