[OpenAFS] remote commands

Paul Blackburn mpb@est.ibm.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 08:11:51 +0000

amar deep kumar wrote:

>  Hi,
>
>     I have installed openafs through RPMS available at openafs.org site.
> i want to use the AFS modified remote commands (rlogon, rsh, rcp). but
> i don't find any binaries for these commands and for AFS modified
> inetd in my installation. can any body help me in sorting out this
> problem.
>
> amardeep

Hello Amar,

In most cases, SSH [0] commands can replace the r* commands.
There is an ssh for rsh, an scp for rcp, and you can login via ssh.

I would strongly encourage you to forget the r* commands
and switch to using SSH.

Why?
Because r* commands:
    a) do not encrypt your traffic
    b) make systems more vulnerable to hacking
while SSH commands:
    a) encrypt
    b) have the capability to make your systems
        less vulnerable to hacking because of stronger
        authentication.
     c) SSH provides a generic framework for making
        encrypted tunnels for client/server programs.

I hope this helps.
--
cheers
paul                            http://acm.org/~mpb