[OpenAFS] namei/inode fileserver performance tests

Warren.Yenson@morganstanley.com Warren.Yenson@morganstanley.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 17:08:48 -0500 (EST)

Note that our tests were inode (on UFS of course) versus namei on VxFS.
It isn't really fair to compare inode fileserver performance on UFS versus
namei fileserver performance on UFS, since the whole point of going to
namei is to use a better underlying filesystem.

Note that raw performance was only one criteria.  fsck performance on
logging filesystems is O(1).

Regarding validity of tests, in our experience, the most common place we
have noticed throughput problems is with vos_dump / vos_restore /
vos_release.  That's a by-product of:

 1. the volserver not being properly threaded like the fileserver, and

 2. our aggressively replicated environment (with a large number of cells
    having copies of the same data), which utilizes those operations
    extensively.

 3. vos operations by their nature operate on larger sets of data than
    individual file operations.  Any one vos command can cause GB worth
    of I/O.  To get that amount of I/O with fileserver operations require
    either a file which is GB in length or a large number of operations.

Having a stream of file operations allows the fileserver to throttle these
requests by bite-size chunks of work.

              - Warren