[OpenAFS] afs server from scratch on linux

Walters Justin Peter Justin Peter Walters <justinw@saintjoe.edu>
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 23:56:19 -0600 (CST)

Would anyone who has installed OpenAFS (server) onto linux (preferrably
slackware) be willing to give me some hints?

One problem I'm having is with the lack of consistency between the
documentation and the actual current source code.  I'm to the point where
it pretty much looks like I have to line-by-line go through
afsinstall/bin/AFSinstall and figure out what the hell is going on.  I've
read through the documentation.  It simply doesn't work...  I know this is
vague, but the point is I don't know where to start.  I have all the
partitions and stuff setup.. a machine completely dedicated to this.. but
now that it comes to running the install scripts, they don't really work,
and I'm not even sure which ones to run because the documentation isn't
very up-to-date.

So would any veteran of a linux install be able to point me in the right
direction?  Perhaps a little story about how you got it running, little
nuances that set you apart from the more common non-linux install?

thanks in advance for any attention.  also I'm curious as to whether the
documentation is ever going to receive as much attention as the code is.

Justin

                               2 common misconceptions
       0) Pain is bad.
       1) Omniscience necessitates predestination.