[OpenAFS] New "B" question: Samba versus AFS.

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
30 Nov 2002 10:19:45 -0500

Well, there _IS_ no security in samba, and there is limited types
of access control.  AFS has Kerberos authentication and a more rich
access control model (albeit per-directory, not per-file).

Another thing is that AFS lets you put multiple servers together, and
move files around "invisibly".  It doesn't matter which server a
particular fileset (volume) lives on -- AFS will find it and it will
appear in the same directory.  With samba (like NFS), I believe you
need to specify the server where a share lives.

-derek