[OpenAFS] using openafs over wireless

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 11:04:30 +0200

On Thu, Oct 03, 2002 at 11:33:16PM -0500, Charles Clancy wrote:
> > Anyone have experience running open-afs on win2k over a wireless nic?  we
> > expected lan throughput to be 2-4 mbs.
>
> I've done it with RH71, kernel 2.4.9, with a Prism2-based card.  Wireless
> is no different than wireline -- just slower.  I wouldn't want to run my
> homedir from AFS over 802.11, but for casual access it's just fine.
>
> For that matter, I use OpenAFS over my 768/128K ADSL connection from home.
> Again, it's fine for casual access, but I wouldn't want to run
> applications from it.

Some time ago, I've been developing a little app and half the libraries
(GTK2, Pango et al.) were built in AFS space. Since I was too lazy to
recompile at home, I just used them where they were. The AFS caching and
on demand paging kicked ass.

All went over a single ISDN line and I was able to observe that running
a program accesses different parts of a library than debugging. B-)

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/