[OpenAFS] Holy Grail of High Availability

Tino Schwarze tino.schwarze@informatik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 13:27:50 +0200

On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 09:05:29PM -0600, Chris Dos wrote:

> I'm been looking at distributed files systems lately and I may have been
> under the wrong impression that OpenAFS or Coda could be the Holy Grail
> for High Availability for the hosting company that I work for.  The part
> that worries me right now is the server replication.  According to the
> documentation that I've been reading, the server replication is only
> good for volumes that don't see many files changing.  So, replicating a
> database such as Oracle or MySQL that changes data often would be a bad
> idea,

Replicating a database will not work this way - you circumvent all kinds
of internal caches and integrity checks. Your database needs to support
replication explicitly.

BTW: There seems to be no holy grail with multiple RW replicas. You open
a big can of worms when allowing concurrent writes on different servers.

Bye, Tino.

--
             * LINUX - Where do you want to be tomorrow? *
                  http://www.tu-chemnitz.de/linux/tag/