[OpenAFS] Mount points on directories that have already been created

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Tue, 08 Oct 2002 16:15:44 -0400

Derek Atkins wrote:
> Michael Aldrich <maldrich@reserveamerica.com> writes:
>

>>Hi,
>>Is it possible to make a mount point under /afs after the directory has
>>already been created? For instance, if I have /afs/.dir1/dir2 and I want to
>>make dir2 a mount point for volume test.volume, can this be acheived without
>>losing content that already exists in dir2?
>

> You need to rename dir2 first.  An AFS mountpoint is really a "special
> symlink"[0].  It it not a "mount" as you think of it locally.  You
> cannot "mount" a volume on top of an existing directory.  So, no.

Also, you might want to look at the "up" utility to copy the contents of
the original dir2 into the new volume, especially if you have lots of
complicated ACLs burried down in that subtree.  Up is sort of a
recursive cp that also knows about and duplicates ACLs.  It's obvious
when you think about it, but to use "up" effectively, you must have
sufficient read rights to all the data you're trying to copy.
   / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu                  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
  /(919) 962-5273  Linux - It's now safe to turn on your computer. /