[OpenAFS] windows issues

Scott D. Williams sdw@email.unc.edu
Wed, 09 Oct 2002 09:34:08 -0400

Hi David,
Here at UNC we determined that "random" afsd_service.exe crashes (OpenAFS
1.2.6) were due to a dramatic increase in attacks on Microsoft
Networking/NetBIOS ports (137, 138, 139). More specifically, it is believed
these probes/attacks originate from remote hosts infected with the
'onaServ' worm.

The attacker(s) were attempting to mount the 'C' drive of the OpenAFS
windows client's loopback SMB server. This request gets flagged as a
bad/malformed packet and often (but not always) causes the service to crash
or misbehave. Exactly why the error handling varies among "identical"
systems has not yet been addressed.

These ports have been closed at the campus Internet router and this problem
has disappeared.

--Scott