[OpenAFS] Web Browsers

Rubino Geiß kb44@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de
Wed, 9 Oct 2002 18:43:56 +0200

Strange: 100000 * 1K == 100 * 1000K ~~ 100M
Which is obviously less than 4MB

Did you mean 4GB or was the cache size never the problem.

In the case you meant 4GB instead of 4MB, then you "correctly" will
experience a freeze of your browser: AFS implements write on close. That
is, all data is guaranteed to be written on the server disk as soon as
the client operating system returns successfully from close(). In the
meantime nothing is guaranteed. On most occasions you don't "feel" this
fact. But if you write a lot of data, say > 100MB, from a fast source to
a not equally fast server / network you will get a significant pause at
the time of closing this file. The problem is, most applications do not
anticipate that close will take some time, so that multithreading is not
always introduced to get the gui responsive.