[OpenAFS] ACLs and open-afs

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 10:27:24 -0500

"E.Spencer B." wrote:

> I'm having a discussion with my co-workers about open-afs.  We are aware
> of the ACL limitations with afs (as far as setting them on directories and
> not files).

Actually it has turned out to be a blessing. There are very few situations
where in AFS you need to have an ACL on a file. In those situations, you put
the file in its own directory. This greatly simplifies the situations.

The OSF DCE with DFS which was based on AFS, does allow ACLs on each file,
and three ACLs on a directory! (One for the directory, one for new files created
in the directory, and one for new directories created in the directory.)

 My question is can open-afs on a Solaris 2.6 or higher box
> make use of Solaris ACLs within the open-afs environment using the setfacl
> and getfacl commands?

Interesting question.