[OpenAFS] How to mount a cell that's not in CellServDB ?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 10 Oct 2002 19:32:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, [iso-8859-1] Björn Leffler wrote:

> I have just set up my own AFS server + cell at home and would like to
> connect as a client from my university. My problem is that the
> administrators refuse to add my cell to their CellServDB file and thus
> fs doesn't find my cell when trying to mkmount.
>
> Is it still possible to mount/use the cell ? Not necessarily mounted in
> /afs/my_cellname, but in my (/afs...) $HOME directory.
>
> I don't mind personally modifying the source code as long as I know it's
> possible and doesn't generate any nasty secondary effects.

if you can modify source, how can you not "own" CellServDB?

Get them to enable -afsdb (or enable it yourself) and publish DNS info for
your cell.

> Looking through the source code, I found an environment variable called
> AFSCONF, which fs uses if the standard CellServDB is not found. Could
> this be a hint to the solution ?

well, once you cram a cell into the kernel you're good, so you could do
that as root (fs newcell the cell, then fs mkm and then on any machine
where it's been fs newcell'd the mount point would work)