[OpenAFS] ACLs and open-afs

Rodney M Dyer rmdyer@uncc.edu
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 09:37:08 -0400

At 09:59 AM 10/12/2002 -0400, you wrote:
>On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
>
> > > with the Win32 support, as I bet a lot of sites do. Somebody could
> > > make a good bit of cash selling support to universities by producing
> > > a commercial Win32 client.
> >
> > Someone did (well, for NT/2000/XP) and to be honest I still have no idea
> > why they're quitting the business.
>
>Are you speaking of IBM/Transarc?  They are quitting because it's not an
>"ooh, wow" hype-filled endeavor that's guaranteed to produce earnings
>(either real or virtual) next quarter and every quarter thereafter.
>
>Cynical?  Me?

I'm with you.  My feeling is that they really didn't know what they had, or
could not figure out how to make money at it.  Poor IBM, they made the only
filesystem that rolls right over any other filesystem created by Microsoft,
Novell, or Sun's NFS, and what did they do?  They just dropped it.  I would
hate to be the top level manager that made that decision!

Rodney

Rodney M. Dyer
PC Systems Programmer
College of Engineering Computing Services
Email rmdyer@uncc.edu
Phone (704)687-3518
Help Desk Line (704)687-3150
FAX (704)687-2352