[OpenAFS] need help with an install

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
15 Oct 2002 10:01:24 -0400

Please CC all your responses to openafs-info....

Michael Miller <mimiller@ncsa.uiuc.edu> writes:

> Derek,
>
> Thanks, I got the module files from a separate download according to
> the directions I was given.  Is there some reason the apt-get command
> I issued would not get me libafs-2.4.7-10-i386.o? Here's the command
> again:
>
> apt-get install openafs-kernel openafs-krb5 openafs-client
> openafs-devel openafs-kpasswd openafs openafs-compat

As I asked before (and you STILL have not answered), are you SURE you
installed the correct VERSION of OpenAFS?  What does this give you:

        rpm -q openafs-kernel

I've never used apt-get for Red Hat, so I have absolutely no idea what
it's going to do.

> Shouldn't this install the libafs-2.4.7-10-i386.o file properly?  If
> not, is there a way to extract a single file from the rpm?

It would -- ONLY IF IT PULLED IN THE RH7.2 VERSION.  If it pulled in
the RH7.3 RPMs, then no, it wouldn't install that file.  And no, you
should not try to extract a single file from the RPM -- in fact, you
should install the openafs-kernel RPMs wholesale because you need the
proper configuration files in place.

> Sorry for the newbie questions, but I'm still pretty green here...

It would help if you actually answered the questions I was asking
rather than continuing to explain your problem.  I know what your
problem is -- I'm trying to verify my belief.

> thanx

-derek