[OpenAFS] On-demand replication?

Venkat Tipparam tipparam@yahoo.com
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 16:21:58 -0700 (PDT)

We have a home grown file server that optimizes file
downloads across geographically distributed file
servers. I am evaluating to see if we can replace this
with OpenAFS replication feature. I am hoping to get
the nice benefits like fail-over, client-side cache,
security from OpenAFS. I have a question however.

Our server implements a simple on-demand replication
of files across the file servers. Most of the time
files at a given site are not used at the other site.
Occationally, it is possible for a local site to
access files located at a remote site. In this case
the server replicates the file on demand.

Now if I were to use OpenAFS to provide similar
functionality I am thinking of using replication
feature of OpenAFS. However by reading the
documentation my understanding is that the files are
always replicated in a replicated volume whether they
are used are not. Is it possible to setup replicated
volumes in such a way that the files are replicated
on-demand when they are accessed from a local server?

Hope I made my question clear.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Venkat.