[OpenAFS] On-demand replication?

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
18 Oct 2002 22:02:58 -0500

On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 21:53, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Venkat Tipparam wrote:
>
> > documentation my understanding is that the files are
> > always replicated in a replicated volume whether they
> > are used are not. Is it possible to setup replicated
> > volumes in such a way that the files are replicated
> > on-demand when they are accessed from a local server?
>
> your understanding based on the documentation is correct, e.g., can't be
> done

However, with some minor logging changes to the file server - it would
be trivial to have an external tool monitor accesses to the volumes, and
"replicate on demand" as it sees accesses to volumes from clients
outside the local region.

i.e. start with no replicates, watch what IP's access what volumes, when
you see enough accesses to a volume from an IP with a local fileserver,
do an addsite+release to that server.

For that matter, you could probably also have it move the volumes around
if a significantly larger percentage of accesses are occurring in other
regions.

-- Nathan