[OpenAFS] OpenAFS and http://www.kernel.org

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
24 Oct 2002 09:39:11 -0400

I had broached the subject earlier.  One of the issues if that
the IPL and GPL (theoretically) do not interact properly.  Then
there is the problem of code divergence and stability.

There are a few "well known" issues that, once fixed, should
significantly reduce the portability problems across kernels.  ISTR
that Derrick enumerated these issues in a recent mail.  The biggest
impediment is the inode/vnode cache -- if AFS could use the Linux
kernel inode cache instead of its own, it would go a LONG WAY to
fixing the portability problemss (many of which are problems with
inode initialization).

If you want to work on that, I'm sure Derrick would be happy to
incorporate patches.

-derek