[OpenAFS] Open AFS-Windows-Client does not update ntuser.dat

Voss, Andreas andreas.voss@id.ethz.ch
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 09:34:09 +0200

Hello,
=20
if i replace the ibm-afs-client by the open-afs-client on Windows 2000 =
and log in with an useraccount with profile-path on afs, then everything =
works - new profile is created, i can work etc. etc. - but after logoff =
i got the message
=20
"Windows cannot update your roaming profile. Contact your network =
administrator.=20

DETAIL - The specified server cannot perform the requested operation"

The Windows-Application-event-ID of this Error is 1000.

Looking at the afsd.log, created with fs trace -dump, i detect, that i =
can not find the string "ntuser.dat" inside. The same log created with =
ibm-afs shows, that ntuser.dat is written.

Looking further, i see, that in the log file the directory, where the =
users (in this case: "carolm") ntuser.dat is stored =
(\users\c\carolm\profiles\hg\win.pds) is not logged correctly and even =
the path gets shorter and shorter in the log-File. In the IBM-Client the =
full path is written (\users\c\carolm\profiles\hg\win.pds\NTUSER.DAT), =
in the Log-File of the open-afs-client the path first is =
"...carolm\profiles\hg\win.pds", then ...lm\profiles\hg\win.pds\*.*.

Because open-afs does not support global drives in a way usable for =
profile-creation (as reported earlier), the AFS-profile-path is mounted =
via a startscript "mountsz.bat" and defined c:\winnt\afsdsbmt.ini. In =
this way the drive "z" is mounted early enough (in opposite to the =
global drives), so it is found with all problems. Doing the same with =
ibm-afs, it is working well.

The reason, why i try open afs is the problem posted before: the =
redirected favorites are working fine with open afs even after =
installation of Windows 2000 SP3. But now i have the other - more =
important - problem: ntuser.dat cannot be updated. And this is =
nessecary, even if all file-stores (My Documents, My Pictures, =
Favorites, App Data) are redirected, because ntuser.dat stores the many =
application-settings (where for example SPLUS stores his data).

I hope, anybody uses open-afs als client with Profiles on afs and can =
help me.

The full-log files of the open afs (afsdopen.log) and ibm afs =
(afsdibm.log) are found on my download-page

http://n.ethz.ch/student/avo/download/profileproblem/

Thank you for help

Andreas Voss, ETH Zuerich, andreas.voss@id.ethz.ch