[OpenAFS] cache performance

Todd M. Lewis utoddl@email.unc.edu
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 11:17:54 -0400

Nickolai Zeldovich wrote:
> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002, Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com wrote:
>>The reason we have this code is that we analyze the contents of ALL of
>>our clients caches (yes, I'm not joking, we really do), and procude
>>enterprise wide reports on who is accessing what volumes.  This has
>>proven very useful.
>

> Would a combination of cmdebug and server-side logging be a reasonable
> alternative?

Seems like capturing the data at the server would be a lot more
efficient.  (And let's not even mention the glaring assumption that you
actually know about all your clients...)

Just curious: could you point out in what ways specifically this has
been useful?  Perhaps adding appropriate logging on the server would be
worth it for some of the rest of us.
   / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu                  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
  /(919) 962-5273  Linux - It's now safe to turn on your computer. /