[OpenAFS] Authentication weirdness

Chris Snyder csnyder@mvpsoft.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 11:37:45 -0500

As I said in a previous email to this list, I'm trying to get Apache to
do authentication using AFS. I installed the mod_auth_external module,
along with the pwauth program, which is PAM-aware. It works fine when I
try pwauth from the command line as root, returning 0 when the username
and password are correct. However, when I try to run it as any other
user, with pwauth suid, it fails, returning an error code of 1.

Also, I tried creating a little program that would be run from xinetd
that would take a username and password, then return a status code if it
works. I tried to use klog to authenticate. The program works fine when
run from the command line, returning 0 when correct, but always returns
-1 when run from xinetd. Again, it is running as root in both cases.

Any ideas why both of these aren't working? I'd prefer to get the first
option working if possible, but either would suffice. Thanks in advance!