[OpenAFS] Multiple Cells

Nickolai Zeldovich kolya@MIT.EDU
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 16:06:56 -0500

> On Tue, 29 Oct 2002, Michael Aldrich wrote:
> > Hi,
> > It is completely impossible to have more than one cell housed on a single
> > AFS server?
>
> Unless you have an OS which allows you to basically have virtual machines,
> (true, like, different root filesystems and network interfaces per host)
> yes

FWIW, FreeBSD's jail system is probably enough of a virtual machine to
let you do it (i.e., you don't need full-blown vmware in that case).
The only thing I'm not sure about is the fssync interface between the
fileserver and volserver; you might need to tweak it a little bit to
make it work in this situation.

-- kolya