[OpenAFS] afsd dying on win2k

Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 18:11:56 -0500

>>>>> "Rodney" == Rodney M Dyer <rmdyer@uncc.edu> writes:

Rodney> From the looks of it, I don't think anything is going to be
Rodney> done about the problem since no one on the OpenAFS group cares
Rodney> anything about Windoz...  Since this seems to be the case, we
Rodney> are searching for other alternatives to AFS.  I guess I
Rodney> shouldn't be surprised that AFS is so unstable on Windoz
Rodney> machines, I mean, it is open source, so you get what you get
Rodney> when you get it.  (Yes, I am being sarcastic here about *nix,
Rodney> and open source in general.)

Well, that's simply not true.

We (Morgan Stanley) care enough about the Windows client that we have
funded development (through Sine Nomine) to stabilize it, and make it
useful for us in a mission critical production environment.

The lack of attention the Windows client gets on this mailing list is
simply because there aren't many experts with Windows knowledge
volunteering to work on the client.  Its not that we don't care, its
that we, as a group, are primarily UNIX experts, and UNIX is the
platform on which AFS is most widely used.

As for getting what you pay for, that's certainly true.  We take that
quite literally as a Firm, and that's why we are willing to fund
development of Open Source products that are critically important to
us.  We've also funded, for example, the Perl Foundation, since perl
is one of the more important development languages here.

OK, you're in academia, and not rolling in cash, so I'm not going to
ask you to pony up money for OpenAFS (although anyone reading this who
works for a commercial enterprise that uses OpenAFS should do so), but
perhaps you have NT expertise in your oen IT shop, and they could get
involved in working with us to make the NT client better?

Free labor is just as welcome (if not more so), than cash.