[OpenAFS] cache performance

Todd M. Lewis Todd_Lewis@unc.edu
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:31:01 -0500

Okay, it's starting to sink in now.  I tend to think of us as a largish
AFS shop because we have lots of users, but we aren't physically
distributed (all our servers are in one room I believe) and we're more
concerned with monitoring individual application use rather than volume
use (though they are closely related in most cases).

I look forward to seeing what you come up with.  Sounds like anything
that makes managing AFS easier on your scale is probably going to scale
down in a way that's useful to the rest of us.  Good luck.

Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com wrote:
> I'm not concerned about the performance overhead, I'm concerned about
> the management overhead....
>
> What I'm after is a near-complete (I'll take 90-95%) audit of the
> usage of my AFS volumes.  Your approach would not scale in an
> environment as large as ours, simply because of the diversity of apps
> we have, and the global nature of our client base.
>
> The AFS infrastructure is *THE* place to deploy production apps, and
> we have 1000's of distinct applications (managed by lots of distinct
> groups), running on lots of different platforms, all of which would
> have to be wrapped in some fashion.  That's a gargantuan task to begin
> with.
 >
> Therefore, we're going to focus our energy on server-based auditing
> that will meet these needs.  Hopefully, if we do it right, you'll just
> have to upgrade to the latest OpenAFS server code, and get this new
> feature for free.
>
> Everything we fund for OpenAFS is contributed back to the code base;
> we don't do Morgan Stanley specials (been there, done that, paid
> millions to undo it).
   / Todd_Lewis@unc.edu                  http://www.unc.edu/~utoddl /
  /(919) 962-5273  Linux - It's now safe to turn on your computer. /