[OpenAFS] afsd dying on win2k

J Michael Mosley J Michael Mosley <jmmosley@uncc.edu>
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 09:59:49 -0500 (EST)

> Rodney, it seems to me like it would be trivial to have kinit call aklog
> after it's gotten you a TGT.  Didn't you even consider trying that?  And
> have you heard the phrase, "If you're not part of the solution, you're
> part of the problem?"

I think some clarification is needed here.  We HAVE implemented a kinit/aklog
solution on the 600 or so clients (Solaris, Windos XP, Linux) we control.

Unfortunately, we have have a lot of folks that manage their own machines (so to
speak :-)) who access our cell.  We were trying to continue to support them
seamlessly by using fakeka and ka-forwarder.  The plan worked well for the
non-Windows clients but unfortunately we didn't take into account that
fakeka/ka-forwarder only supports RX.

Right now we seem to have 2 choices:

A) Hack fakeka and ka-forwarder to support K4 so that the Windows klog will work

   or

B) Educate and convince the folks that fall into this group to install K5 and
   aklog.

Of course, we are open to other ideas as well.

> Rodney, it seems to me like it would be trivial to have kinit call aklog
> after it's gotten you a TGT.  Didn't you even consider trying that?  And
> have you heard the phrase, "If you're not part of the solution, you're
> part of the problem?"

Mike Mosley  				Email: jmmosley@uncc.edu
Systems Software Developer 		Phone: (704) 687-3522
College of Engineering, UNC-Charlotte 	Fax: (704) 687-2352