[OpenAFS] afsd dying on win2k

Matthew Cocker matt@cs.auckland.ac.nz
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 07:40:16 +1300

> Right now we seem to have 2 choices:
>
> A) Hack fakeka and ka-forwarder to support K4 so that the Windows klog will work
>
>    or
>
> B) Educate and convince the folks that fall into this group to install K5 and
>    aklog.
>

> Of course, we are open to other ideas as well.

We tried these options and did not like then. In the end we just
compiled MIT krb with version 4 support and made at least one afs  DB
server in each geographic site in our cell a MIT kdc server as well.
Then the windows users just have to use our standard afsdcell.ini file.
Since we moved to this setup we have seen a lot less windows AFS client
crashes. We still see a few if we have a network problem with a router
etc as the windows client stops as soon as it can not contact the servers.

Presently have ~900 windows clients in our labs with ~400000 logins so
far this year by upwards of 6000 users who map/access their home
directories in afs space at each login with mandatory profiles with
favorites, my documents redirected into AFS home directory.

Cheers

Matt