[OpenAFS] volserver caused ext3 oops?

Chris (Ducky) Chapin cchapin@qualcomm.com
Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:53:33 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Derrick J Brashear wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Oct 2002, Jack Neely wrote:
> > Are there any known issues with using ext3 or ext2 for AFS server
> > partitions?
> none i know of

The only thing we've run into when using ext3 was that multiplying the
df of /usr/vice by 9/10 to determine what the cache size should be (before
afsd is started for the first time) resulted in the partition filling up
and OpenAFS complaining about no room left on device.

My guess is that the journal eats a percentage of the up disk and
that doesn't get taken into account.  Since I can't think of a good reason
to journal cache data, I just mount /usr/vice as ext2 instead.

--

 Christopher 'Ducky' Chapin                        ducky@qualcomm.com
 Unix Systems Administrator - Qualcomm, Inc.           (858) 651-5433