[OpenAFS] switch from memcache to diskcache

Joerg Sommer joerg@alea.gnuu.de
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 17:37:33 +0000 (UTC)

Derek Atkins <warlord@MIT.EDU> wrote:
> No, you cannot change cache-type without shutting down AFS.
> What version of AFS are you using?  AFS _should_ shutdown cleanly

version: Debian openafs 1.2.7-2

> during the normal system shutdown process.

That's not possible. We use afs for a diskless client and so it's
impossible to unmount /sbin while init is running. (If you see a way, I
would be very happy.) So we shutdown all processes and unmount all
filesystems, they not needed, and then reboot the computer. So afs is
killed and the filesystem with the afs cache is lets unclean. If we
unmount the afs cache, it's not possible to bring init to an end because
the afs module accesses after unmount the cache and the system crashes.

A switch to memcache could prevent the destroying of the filesystem.

Joerg.