[OpenAFS] switch from memcache to diskcache

Adrian Knoth adi@drcomp.erfurt.thur.de
Thu, 31 Oct 2002 21:21:21 +0100

On Thu, Oct 31, 2002 at 01:32:05PM -0500, Derek Atkins wrote:

> I dont understand your file system layout.

The kernel creates an initial ramdisk (minix) and loads the AFS-modules.
A cache-partition is active. Afterwards, afsd is startet and the whole
system from the /afs-tree is bind-mounted over the existing /sbin, /bin
and so on. Then init is replaced by the standard init and the system
boots.

> If you are running diskless (frankly a silly thing to do in this day
> and age of $100 80-GB disks),

It is not silly. We're running this setup on 15 clients at university.
It will be extended to hundred or more clients in the near future.

By doing this we have absolutely no administrative efforts/costs, because
a centralized installation is used for all clients. Because of some
modifications there is even no need for host-specific /etc.

> then why don't you always run AFS with a memcache?

This would be good if we have more RAM. And a disk-cache is nice for
reducing the network-bottleneck, even between reboots.

> Are you saying that you are:
>         1) running diskless, and
>         2) running your _ROOT FILESYSTEM_ out of AFS???

A virtual root-fs, yes. / is ramdisk, but in fact all entries below /bin,
/etc, /usr and so is imported via AFS.

--
mail: adi@thur.de  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP: v2-key via keyserver

Wer die Hände in den Schoß legt, muß noch lange nicht untätig sein