[OpenAFS] install question

Julius L. Campbell julius.l.campbell@jpl.nasa.gov
Thu, 05 Sep 2002 11:18:02 -0700

The JPL cell will eventually be running openafs instead of the commercial
version. I built version 1.2.6 for Solaris 8
after configuring with:

./configure --with-afs-sysname=sun4x_58 --enable-transarc-paths

I have installed (not as root, since I'm just playing with the build at
this point) two different ways and am surprised
that the directory layout was different even though the only difference was
the installation invocation (in both cases
prior to building I configured with transarc paths and built by invoking
"make" in the directory where I untarred the
source.)

The 2 installs were:

1. make dest

    The resulting tree is:
	sun4x_58
		dest
			-bin
			-include
				afs
			-root.client
				usr
					vice
						etc
							modload
			-root.server
				etc
				usr
					afs
						bin
			-etc
			-lib
				afs
			-root.perf
				include
					afs
				lib

2. make install DESTDIR=/afs/jpl.nasa.gov/group/afs/upgrade/openafs/1.2.6

    The resulting tree is :
		   usr
			-afs
				bin
			-local
				bin
				include
					afs
				lib
					afs
				libexec
					openafs
				sbin
			-vice
				etc

The binaries are distributed differently within the two tree as well.
What is meant by "enable transarc paths" ? We like layout #1, but we would like
to install it in a place of our choosing (ala #2). Is it possible to do this?

Julius Campbell, JPL