[OpenAFS] Changing RO replica to a RW

Turbo Fredriksson turbo@bayour.com
20 Sep 2002 08:45:39 +0200

I was making a mistake this morning. Not enough coffey.

I had to do a restore on one of my volumes. After three
'bos salvage' lines it was salvaged. So I wanted to test
that it was possible to backup the volume (I'm running a
backupscript every night, and that had problems cloning
the volume).

Since 'vos backup' didn't say anything, it succeeded.
I then intended to remove the backup volume, but I forgot
to add the '.backup' to the volume name!!!

Lucily for me, this volume is replicated to /vicepc..

Now, looking through the mail archives, I found a way
to dump this readonly and recreate the RW volume...

----- s n i p -----
1. vos dump public.ftp.debian.readonly -file /var/.backups-volumes/public.ftp.debian
2. vos restore -server papadoc -partition vicepb -name public.ftp.debian \
   -file /var/.backups-volumes/public.ftp.debian -id public.ftp.debian -localauth
----- s n i p -----

This was ok, according to the output.

But for some reason (lack of coffey is my excuse :) I had
'fs rmm' the mountpoint before doing all this. Ok, I just
add the mount again.

[papadoc.root]# fs mkm /afs/bayour.com/public/ftp/pub/debian public.ftp.debian
[papadoc.root]# ls /afs/bayour.com/public/ftp/pub/debian
/bin/ls: /afs/bayour.com/public/ftp/pub/debian: Connection timed out

Any idea what I missed?
--
$400 million in gold bullion domestic disruption Serbian strategic spy
jihad KGB smuggle Waco, Texas arrangements munitions NORAD Peking