[OpenAFS] backing up OpenAFS with amanda

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Sat, 21 Sep 2002 07:42:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Sep 2002, Lee Damon wrote:

> Is anyone successfully backing up an OpenAFS cell using amanda? Please
> contact me off-list.

Replying on-list because this is becoming a semi-FAQ.  We can take
further discussion off-list if need be.

We did a fair bit of work building tools to mate amanda to OpenAFS
here at CCMR a while back and do in fact have something running.
Theoretically everything needed is there.  The missing step is we
have yet to fully test restores and fix any problems yet to be
discovered there.  That and I keep meaning to talk to the University's
lawyers to make sure they won't have a cow if we give the code away.

If you like I'll add your name to the list I've been keeping of folks
who've expressed interest in this, so I can update you when there is
more to know.  At this point, given our lack of time to focus on this
project I'd like to get the lawyer's approval and make our work
available for others.  It seems more likely to make it into a known
usable state that way.

-Mitch