[OpenAFS] Re[2]: OpenAFS Newbie Questions

Derek Atkins warlord@MIT.EDU
25 Sep 2002 20:28:37 -0400

Raymond <support@bigriverinfotech.com> writes:

> >> A volume is stored on a vicepx partition, and a vicepx partition may
> contain multiple volumes.  <<
>
> Is /vicepx the *physical* location of the user data and /afs/<cell name>/  a
> symbolic / hierarchical representation of the raw data stored in vicepx?

Yes.

> If my understanding is accurate, if /afs/<cell name>/ becomes corrupt or
> destroyed, can /afs/<cell name>/ be recreated from /vicepx?

You misunderstand...  /afs/<cell> cannot be corrupt -- it is a an
ACTUAL representation of the data stored in /vicepX on your AFS
servers.  The only way for /afs/<cell> to get corrupted is if you
raw data gets corrupted.

> This is important as I will devote a hardware RAID5 array to the physical
> location of the user data.

Devoting a hardware RAID5 to /vicepX is a Good Idea.

> Raymond

-derek