[OpenAFS] Re[2]: OpenAFS and LInux PAM

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Sun, 29 Sep 2002 22:49:54 -0400 (EDT)

On Sun, 29 Sep 2002, Raymond wrote:

> I would like to elimate FTP and utilize OpenAFS but retain PAM authentication
> (without shell access).

You can presumably use PAM, but not to authenticate AFS connections (or
maybe I misunderstand)

> We currently have a FTP system in place that post-processes ftp file transfers
> by chown'ing and chmod'ing the transfers and emailing the recipient with
> sender name, file location, file name and date / time info. System also
> utilizes FXP and the client caches files locally. Authentication and
> transfers are wrapped in SSH2.  Replication is nightly via rsync.

Post-process the files with an external job instead.

> So why would we consider a change?
>
> 1. The TCP protocol is slow (less than 500 kbs) in a LAN / DS3 WAN
> environment. I believe OpenAFS is based upon UDP.

Some will claim that this makes it worse. They may or may not be right.

I will note that I keep ~40mb aerial photos, ~5mb raster maps and mp3s of
various sizes on my own afs server running on a dual p3 750 with 5400rpm
ide disks, udma66, on a 100mb lan. i have no complaints about performance,
but this is not an enterprise environment, despite the levels of traffic
we sometimes generate.

-D