[OpenAFS] mounting lots of volumes quickly

Leland J. Steinke steinkel@pa.net
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 13:33:45 -0500

I have been doing testing of OpenAFS 1.2.8 (from source, not src RPMs, on RH
8.0, on a dual-500MHz P3 w/512M RAM, with /vice[ab] on ~13G ext3 partitions on
different physical drives).  Part of this is disaster checking by restarting the
bosserver, or just power-cycling the server.  I am using the -DontSalvage option
for salvager in BosConfig.

Here is the relevant section of FileLog:
======
Mon Mar 31 17:18:07 2003 File server starting
Mon Mar 31 17:40:01 2003 Partition /vicepa: attached 15450 volumes; 0 volumes
not attached
Mon Mar 31 18:01:57 2003 Partition /vicepb: attached 15392 volumes; 0 volumes
not attached
======

Since these volumes are to contain customer home directories and mailboxes,
there is no way to put the "more important" volumes on the first partition.  Is
there anything I can do to get the volumes in these partitions to mount more
quickly?  From a quick scan of src/vol/volume.c, it would appear to not be the
case, beyond getting faster drives/RAM/CPUs.  Mounting more than twelve volumes
a second is just not cutting it ;-).

Is there a volume "automount" option in AFS that I have not stumbled across yet?

thanks,
Leland