[OpenAFS] mounting lots of volumes quickly

Leland J. Steinke steinkel@pa.net
Tue, 01 Apr 2003 13:57:09 -0500

Neulinger, Nathan wrote:
> Did you build with the Bitmap-later option? That will also improve
> startup speed quite a bit.
>
> Our servers can usually restart in 2-3 minutes. Though they generally
> only have a thousand or so volumes on each one.

Actually, I set both --enable-fast-restart and --enable-bitmap-later when I ran
configure, but this was after I had already built the volumes.  That is the
problem with reading the QuickStartUnix and actually typing in what one reads!
If I need to rebuild the volumes with these options enabled, so be it.

On the down side, your experience of (2-3 minutes/1000 volumes) times the ~30000
volumes I am trying to mount comes up with a start time of 60-90 minutes, which
is more than what I am seeing (40 minutes) :-(

Thanks,
Leland