[OpenAFS] Supported Platforms

Henry B. Hotz hotz@jpl.nasa.gov
Wed, 2 Apr 2003 14:37:53 -0800

Did anyone ever get the server working on OSX?  I don't want to run a
server on a laptop, but maybe that would be easier for a
proof-of-concept test.

At 4:02 PM -0500 4/2/03, Jim Rees wrote:
>The macppc_nbsd support is preliminary, untested, and in fact guaranteed not
>to work.

Well, I knew that!  I'm not complaining!

>I probably shouldn't have even committed it, but I thought it
>might make a good starting point for someone, and I didn't want Love's hard
>work to be wasted.
>
>The param files have several obvious problems.  They have the sys_name
>defined twice, they are missing XBSD_ENV.

Have to check.  I know I fixed some of that.

>There is a ppc section in process.s, but it may or may not be compatible
>with your assembler.

There is?  Oh, now I see it.  AFS_PPC_ENV, but a lot is also
conditionalized on Apple or NeXT.

It's got a note about only working on a 601-603, but not 620, which
is OK since this is an old 603 at the moment.  But the G3 is a 750 if
IIRC.  The G4 has Altivec (and 4-digit model numbers), but I think
you won't need to worry about that in Darwin as long as you never
touch the Altivec registers.  Not sure about Altivec under NetBSD
though.

>The i386_nbsd code doesn't even work, so fixing that would be a good first
>step toward getting ppc_nbsd going.  It shouldn't be hard, the pieces are
>all there, and i386_nbsd worked at one time in the Transarc code base.  It
>just takes someone with time and enthusiasm.

|-P

>And yes, this should be discussed on the -devel list.

;-)

I should also mention for the record that configure says
<sys/mount.h> is unusable and I should contact the gnu folks about it.