[OpenAFS] mounting lots of volumes quickly

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Thu, 03 Apr 2003 10:28:02 +0200

Frank Burkhardt schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 08:47:46AM +0200, Hartmut Reuter wrote:
>
>>There is nothing special with the volumes if you run your server built
>>with --enable-fast-restart and --enable-bitmap-later. Fast restart only
>>skips salvaging after a crash which can save much time, but only after a
>>fileserver or machine crash.Bitmap later means that the bitmap of used
>>and free vnodes in main memory is built not at start time of the
>>fileserver but only when its needed the first time. You can switch at
>>any time between fileserver binaries compiled with or without these options.
>
> Is there a reason for --enable-bitmap-later not being default?

This was one of my first patches I sent in and it was code which I had
in use in my MR-AFS servers since years. But because we do not run any
OpenAFS servers I put it in ifdefs to let other sites first test it.

IMO it should be default.

-Hartmut