[OpenAFS] AFS Performance Question

Eike Suthau eike.suthau@mailbox.tu-dresden.de
Fri, 11 Apr 2003 02:12:33 +0200

Hello,=20

I have installed AFS client and server on my Debian Woody Box which is a =
Duron=20
1100 with 256MB of RAM.  I am  currently using a loop back device for /vi=
cepa=20
formated with standard ext3 (about 500MB).  200MB located on ext3 are use=
d=20
for the cache directory. UDMA66 is on and the System has never given me a=
ny=20
trouble on the hardware side.

In order to get a rough estimate of the data rates to be expected I have =
run=20
cp with files (all zeros) of 10MB and 100MB. I find the results very=20
confusing:

time cp /tmp/test10 /afs/home/eike
=09real    0m3.573s
=09user    0m0.020s
=09sys     0m0.170s

time cp /tmp/test100 /afs/home/eike
=09real    1m24.240s
=09user    0m0.030s
=09sys     0m7.950s

time cp /afs/home/eike/test100 /tmp/test100b
=09real    1m8.672s
=09user    0m0.090s
=09sys     0m1.980s

I cannot believe that the results are normal since the machine is allmost=
=20
completely idle during copying and stil only manages 2.8MB/s.

I would  greatly appreciate any hint to what I have done wrong and it wou=
ld=20
also be very interesting to know what speed to expect from my type of=20
hardware.

Regards,=20
eike